Friday, September 18, 2009

Cuteness can be deceiving...


I know my dog is adorable but let me assure you that looks can be deceiving. She is a terror at the moment! I have read article after article about crate training..."your dog will like its crate, dogs are den animals, crate training is highly successful" blah, blah, blah! Wrigley, hates her crate. I know I mentioned this before but it has not gotten better. I of course made the mistake of praying for patience...are you kidding me! Don't get me wrong, we love Wrigley and she has been an amazing addition to our family. I am just ready for training to start and some positive changes.

Here is your dose of puppy love for the week...
We left her in our bathroom last Friday and she did a great job! So we try again on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Well, the other three days she got out of the bathroom and had free roam of a bedroom, no problem (we are getting excited now). Tuesday, the bedroom door was left open and she had free rain of the house, nothing was even so much as out of place.
Wednesdays we volunteer at the church so we came home briefly and then Patrick put her back in our room...you know what happens next. We came home and there was paper from one end of the bedroom to the other. She tore up every magazine and my leather Bible! There were pages of Genesis and Romans (must have thrashed the book around) all over the place! Did I mention that it has been raining here for a week straight and she has not been outside to play? I could only really laugh at the situation and it is even funnier today!
Back to her crate she went...yesterday she broke the plastic liner of her crate and tore up the carpet remnant that her crate sits on. Today, she bent the base of her crate! Are you serious!

If there is anyone out there in cyber blog world that has ever trained a dog to be in a crate or behave for that matter, please send any and all advice our way. Puppy training begins on Tuesday, we will update and let you know how it goes!
We love our puppy very much despite the training challenges. Here are a few pictures...she is stinking adorable!

An attempt at training...ineffective

This bone takes less than a week...it looks huge but she is a lab afterall!

1 comment:

Jeff and Steph said...

ah the days of crate training....hope it works out b/c Millie hated it too. I like the pic of Animal Planet on TV, y'all should email it in to the network!!